The African-American Leaders for Tomorrow Program (AALTP), a division of the California Legislative Black Caucus Policy Institute is seeking applicants for its 2012 African-American Leaders for Tomorrow Conference. California high school students eligible to graduate in 2013 or 2014 are invited to apply.
Application deadline is Monday, June 18, 2012.
The conference will be held July 21–28, 2012, on the campus of California State University, Sacramento. Conference participants will stay in campus housing and be supervised at all times.
This conference offers students training in the following:
- Enhanced leadership skills
- Strengthened understanding of State and Local Government
- Financial responsibility
- Living a balanced life
- Career exploration and development
Students attending the conference will:
- Attend thought provoking presentations on critical leadership skills
- Participate in interactive workshops promoting good mental, physical and fiscal health
- Gain first-hand legislative experience through mock hearings at the State Capitol
Students are selected based on the following:
- A student who's currently in good academic standing as of January 1, 2012, and eligible to graduate in 2013 or 2014 with a 2.5 or higher GPA
- Demonstration of leadership potential (i.e. involvement in student government, community leadership or similar activities)
Housing, meals, program materials, and transportation to, from and during the conference will be provided at no cost to the participants. Students will need spending money for snacks, souvenirs, etc.
Code of Conduct Agreement, Medical Permission Slip and Photo Release
Students and Parents/Guardians are REQUIRED to read, understand and agree by signing and returning all three documents before June 18, 2012. All three documents can be found in the AALT Summer Conference Handbook HERE.
For more information, please contact Gladys Glaude at email@example.com or call (916) 278-4849.