WELCOME TO THE
First 5 California and the Water Cooler Joint Conference
Day One – February 8, 2012
INVESTMENTS IN EARLY LEARNING: Let Evidence Lead the Way,
hosted by First 5 California
In addition to presentations by outstanding keynote speakers, there will be two plenary sessions to discuss the current state of the early care and education field and how data and research continue to shape programs. With an emphasis on early learning, science, and research, the plenary discussions will address the following topics:
- How government and providers are able to continue supporting and delivering children’s services in tough economic times
- How science, data, and research are used to maintain or improve programs
Keynotes will be provided by First 5 California founder, film director, philanthropist, and children’s advocate Rob Reiner; and Mark Shriver, Senior Vice President of U.S. Programs with Save the Children.
Day Two – February 9, 2012
STRONGER TOGETHER: Winning Our Children’s Future
hosted by the Water Cooler and Advancement Project
Featured presentations by nationally acclaimed early learning leaders and advocates who will discuss the following topics:
- Innovations in policy and practice with perspectives ranging from prenatal care through third grade
- Building and supporting teacher quality in California
- How the 2012 ballot budget and political landscape will affect the field of early learning
Keynotes will include remarks from Sterling Speirn, President and CEO of the W.K. Kellogg Foundation; and Linda Darling-Hammond, Stanford University School of Education.
These nationally renowned speakers will offer perspectives on the current policy environment and will reflect on how California can most effectively contribute to policy change. The conference is designed as an opportunity for experts, First 5 county commissions, and other partners to highlight successes, strategies, and promising practices that are grounded in evidence-based research.
Again, we look forward to the opportunity to engage, inform, and inspire you through our Joint Conference.