dollorOpen University

Program Information

Drop / Withdrawal Policy
Access Grades
Open University Add/Drop Form


California State University, Sacramento, Open University program allows you to attend regular University classes through the College of Continuing Education (CCE) on a space available basis, without formally admitting to the University.



Enrollment Conditions:

How to Register for Open University

Online course schedule
Open University Add/Drop

Fall 2015 Registration Dates:

August 31 - September 28, 2015
Monday – Friday, 8 AM - 5 PM

Late Registration: September 29 - December 11, 2015 with additional Petition to Add/Drop After Deadline form and $25 late fee.

If you are registering for a class that begins after the registration period, contact Continuing Education at (916) 278-6984 for extended deadline information.

Attention Graduate Students

Those students using Open University to explore graduate school options who later apply to Sacramento State for graduate studies should be aware that only six eligible units earned prior to classification can be applied toward a subsequent master’s degree program.

Attention International Students

If you are an international student, please be advised that you may not be eligible to take a course through Open University. If you are here on an F-1 visa, you need authorization from your school advisor. If you are here on an F-2 or J-2 visa, you will need to get clearance on the course you are taking when you submit your registration to CCE. If you are here on a B-1 or B-2 visa, you are NOT eligible to take courses through Open University. When submitting your registration, please have your visa with you because a photocopy will need to be made for your record. Please call (916) 278-6984 for questions about your status.


The Open University fee for Fall 2015 is $253 per unit. If you are 60 years of age or older, you may “audit” (attend but receive no credit for) an Open University course for $65 per unit. Payment must be made by check, money order or credit card. The $253 per unit fee covers the cost of instructional support, enrollment and record keeping only. Financial aid is not available. Waivers are not accepted. A $25 late fee is applied to registrations submitted after September 29, 2015.

The CSU makes every effort to keep student costs to a minimum. Fees listed in published schedules or student accounts may need to be increased when public funding is inadequate. Therefore, CSU must reserve the right, even after initial fee payments are made, to increase or modify any listed fees, without notice, until the date when instruction for a particular semester or quarter has begun. All CSU listed fees should be regarded as estimates that are subject to change upon approval by The Board of Trustees.


You may purchase weekly or semester permits in Napa Hall once you have obtained at least one signature on your Open University registration form. Daily permits can be purchased at vending machines located throughout campus. Please see UTAPS for exact locations, Be advised: there are no refunds for parking permits.

Automobiles: $168.00
Motorcycles: $42.00
Weekly Permit: $11.00
Daily Permit: $6.00

Drop / Refund Policy


Drops require instructor and department chair signatures on an Open University Add/Drop form, which must be submitted in person to CCE in Napa Hall by September 28, 2015. A grade of "W" will be posted for all withdrawals after this date.


There are NO REFUNDS issued for dropping Open University classes. If you have any questions regarding withdrawals, please call (916) 278-6984.

Access Grades

You can access your grades by logging on to, clicking on the Student Center link, and then clicking on the Grades link in the drop down box under the Academics heading. Grades should be available one week after the term. My Sac State is available 24/7.


Call: Continuing Education at (916) 278-6984


Do non-residents pay extra fees?
No. Open University students pay the same fee whether they are residents or non-residents of California

Can I take classes that require a passing grade on the CSUS Writing Proficiency Exam through Open U?

Yes, but written consent must be obtained from the Associate Dean of Undergraduate Studies. Written consent must be provided at the time of registration. For more information, please contact the Department of Academic Affairs at (916) 278-5344 or visit Sacramento Hall, room 230.

May matriculated students enroll through Open University?
No. Open University is only open to those who are not admitted to Sacramento State.

Enrollment in Open University does not constitute official enrollment at Sacramento State, nor does it count towards continuous enrollment for preserving catalog rights. If you have been admitted to Sacramento State and are choosing to enroll in a class through Open University instead, you should consult with the Academic Advising Center or the Evaluations Office before registering.

How many units may I earn through Open University?
Units earned through Open University are considered special session credit. According to University policy, no more than 24 units of special session credit may be applied toward a baccalaureate degree; please check with your department regarding their specific policy of how many units will be accepted.

Can I use the Health Center and the Well?
Yes; however service fees are not included in the Open University fees. Please contact The Well (916) 278-9355 directly for more information.

Do I need to get a Sacramento State OneCard?
The Sacramento State OneCard is the University’s digital-image identification card for students. You will need to obtain a Sacramento State OneCard if you wish to use the library or student computer labs. The Sacramento State OneCard is available at the Sacramento State OneCard Center in Lassen Hall for a $15 fee.

Open University Add/Drop Form