dollor Help & Information

Frequently Asked Questions

About Us

Who teaches the courses?
Courses are taught by highly qualified instructors. They are either Sacramento State faculty or highly qualified professionals working in the field.
What is WASC accreditation?
The Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) is one of six regional accrediting associations in the United States. The Association provides assistance to schools located in California, Hawaii, Guam, the Commonwealth of the Northern Marianas, American Samoa, the Federated States of Micronesia, the Republic of the Marshall Islands, Fiji, and East Asia.

Accreditation is a voluntary, dual-purpose process that schools (1) must be worthy of the trust placed in them to provide high-quality learning opportunities; and (2) clearly demonstrate continual self-improvement.

For more information visit:
What is the College of Continuing Education?
The College of Continuing Education is an "extension" of Sacramento State. We offer a wide variety of courses, workshops, seminars and conferences aimed specifically at non-traditional students. You may be seeking to expand your knowledge of a particular subject, improve your professional skills, embark on a new career or advance toward an academic degree. Or you may simply be interested in an intellectual challenge. Whatever your interest, we have the classes for you!

Academic Credit Registration

How do you know if a course offers academic credit?
The information listed in the "Units" category of the course schedule indicates whether a course is offered for non-credit, academic credit or CEUs. If a course offers academic credit, it will list how many units may be earned for the class.

Non-Credit Certificates & CEU Transcripts

Will I receive an actual certificate?
Yes, a Certifcate of Participation is awarded for CEU-based certificate programs. A Certificate of Academic Achievement is awarded for academic credit certificate programs. Prior to completing the last course in your certificate program, you will need to submit a Certificate of Participation Form. Complete this form and return it to the College of Continuing Education. After CCE has verified completion of all required courses, a certificate with your name and date of completion will be sent to you along with an official transcript. An official notification letter of program completion will be sent to an identified employer, supervisor, personnel manager or association, if requested. CCE hosts an annual awards ceremony to honor our certificate recipients. Your information on the Certificate of Participation Form provides us with contact information so we can notify you of upcoming award ceremonies.

Non-Credit Registration

Do I have to apply to the certificate program to take a class?
No. Anyone who has fulfilled the prerequisites for a given class may take that class individually, without officially applying to a certificate program.
How long does it take to complete a certificate program?
Certificate programs vary in length, but most can be completed within six months to a year. However, as you are free to take classes when they are compatible with your schedule, the pursuit could extend beyond one year.
What is a certificate program?
A certificate program is a cluster of courses that provides knowledge and training in a specific field, enabling you to learn practical, up-to-the-moment skills and information for job improvement or career advancement. Making a commitment to expand your knowledge and skills by means of a certificate program can make the difference between promotion and stagnation in your professional development. Each certificate program has been reviewed and authorized by the faculty and administration of Sacramento State to assure that the program you select meets the high standards of quality education expected from the CSU system.
What is the difference between a certificate program and a professional advancement series?
CCE certificate programs and professional development programs offer specialized training in specific career areas. A certificate program consists of a series of classes developed with input from industry professionals and reviewed and approved by deans from relevant campus departments. Classes included in a professional advancement series are developed by industry professionals and provide practical knowledge to improve job skills, provide updates on workforce trends or prepare for graduate programs.
What are non-credit courses?
There are many Continuing Education classes that are classified as "non-credit." Often offered as seminars and workshops, these courses are geared specifically to the special interests of the community. No academic credits or CEUs are awarded.
What are Continuing Education Units (CEUs)?
The CEU is a nationally recognized unit of measurement of non-credit, post-secondary-level study. It has been established by the International Association of Continuing Education and Training (IACET). You may earn CEUs for study in selected non-credit programs and courses. CEUs are designed for use where employers, re-licensure agencies and other authorities require a specified number of hours of study on a regular basis for career advancement purposes. You can earn one CEU for every 10 contact hours of participation or portion thereof, e.g., eight continuing education hours equals 0.8 CEUs. Grading for CEU courses is on a credit/no-credit basis.

Open U

What is Open University?
The Open University program allows you to enroll in regular University classes through the College of Continuing Education on a space-available basis. Open University is ideal if you are interested in entering or returning to college but prefer to "test the waters" first. Up to 24 units of credit from Open U may be applied toward a Sacramento State degree objective. Open University is also a good way for you to raise your GPA in order to qualify for admission into regular University programs.

*fees are subject to change

Register for Classes

How do I register?
After selecting your course(s), register online, if available, or see the Academic Credit Registration page or Non-Credit Registration page to find the appropriate registration form. The full payment of tuition and fees, along with an accurate registration form, completes the registration process. Due to enrollment limitations, it is in your best interest to register at least 7 days in advance of the first class meeting. Call (916) 278-4433 (non-credit & CEUs), or (916) 278-6984 (academic credit) to verify space availability if you are not able to register 7 days in advance. In the event the minimum enrollment levels are not reached, the course may be cancelled prior to the first class meeting. If cancelled, every effort will be made to notify registered participants by phone or mail and a refund will be processed.
What are the fees?
Fees for non-credit and academic courses vary and are listed in the fee category of the course schedule. The College of Continuing Education is self-supported and receives no funding or income from sources other than the fees charged for services. Enrollment fees are established by the CSU Board of Trustees. If you are unable to attend a course for which you have registered and want a refund, you must notify the College of Continuing Education 24 hours before the first class meeting.
Is financial aid available?
The College of Continuing Education is self-supported and unable to offer direct financial aid. For additional information on financial assistance, visit these websites: Some academic credit programs are eligible for financial aid through the University. Contact Financial Aid for more information.
Students with Disabilities
For information about our Students with Disabilities policies see the University Policies page.
Who can enroll in Continuing Education classes?
Anyone can enroll! Formal admission to the University is not required for non academic programs. You have the opportunity to expand your knowledge in a relaxed atmosphere. Please note, however, that enrollment in extension offerings does not constitute formal admission to the University. If you are interested in formal admission to Sacramento State, contact Admissions & Records at (916) 278-3901.
Where are the classes held?
Most courses are held in Napa Hall or other locations on the Sacramento State campus. Some courses meet off-campus at specialized sites, or entirely online. We also offer a variety of in-house programs at various companies and government agencies.
What are Certificate Programs?
Certificate programs are groups of classes designed to help you gain career expertise, enhance your resume or update your skills. Each program varies, but generally you can earn a certificate within one year. Course schedules are designed to meet the needs of working professionals. Anyone who meets the prerequisite requirements must enroll to take individual courses in a certificate program.


Quick Links

Register for Open U

Contact Us

General Information
(916) 278-4433
(800) 858-7743 Toll Free with 24 hour voice mail
Fax: (916) 278-4865