dollorOpen University

Important Dates

Fall 2011 classes begin: August 29, 2011
Open University Registration dates: September 12-16, 2011
Location: Napa Hall, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Last day to register without a $25 late fee: September 16, 2011
Late registrations will be accepted until: October 28, 2011
Last day to drop without receiving a “W” grade: October 28, 2011

If you are registering for a class that begins after the registration period, contact Continuing Education at (916) 278-6984 for extended deadline information.

Registration for Open University students takes place the third week of the semester

What is Open University?

California State University, Sacramento’s Open University program allows you to attend regular University classes through the College of Continuing Education on a space available basis, without admitting to the University.

Open University is designed for:

  • those interested in entering or returning to college who prefer to “test the waters” first.
  • those seeking to update or expand their professional skills or make a career change.
  • those wanting to raise their grade point average in order to qualify
    for admission into the regular University program.

May matriculated students enroll through Open University?

No. Open University is only open to those who are not enrolled or admitted at Sacramento State. Enrollment in Open University does not constitute official enrollment at Sacramento State, nor does it count toward continuous enrollment for preserving catalog rights.

How many units may I earn through Open University?

Units earned through Open University are considered special session credit.   According to University policy, no more than 24 units of special session credit may be applied toward a baccalaureate degree; please check with your department regarding their specific policy of how many units will be accepted.

What are the Enrollment Conditions?

There must be space available in the class and approval must be obtained from the instructor and the department chair. Open University students are required to complete all academic work assigned by the instructor unless they are registered as “audit.” Students who wish to take a course for credit/no credit instead of a letter grade must complete and submit a petition at the time of registration.

Anyone with an outstanding University obligation (hold) will not be allowed to enroll in classes until that hold is cleared. Disqualified students are not eligible to take classes through Open University.

How do I register for Open University?

  1. Choose the course(s) in which you wish to register from the Sacramento State class schedule found online at
  2. Obtain an Open University registration form from Continuing Education Records in Napa Hall or at the bottom of this page.
  3. Attend the class at the beginning of the semester and notify the instructor that you wish to enroll through Open University.
  4. Obtain the approval signature of the instructor and department chair in the appropriate places on the registration form for each class in which you wish to enroll. Continue to attend the class.



The fee for Fall 2011 is $253 per unit. If you are 60 years of age or older, you may "audit" (attend but receive no credit for) an Open University course for $65 per unit. Payment must be made by check, money order or credit card.

The fees cover the cost of instructional support, enrollment and record keeping only. Financial Aid is not available. A $25 late fee is applied to registrations submitted after September 16, 2011.

The CSU makes every effort to keep student costs to a minimum. Fees listed in published schedules or student accounts may need to be increased when public funding is inadequate. Therefore, CSU must reserve the right, even after initial fee payments are made, to increase or modify any listed fees, without notice, until the date when instruction for a particular semester or quarter has begun. All CSU listed fees should be regarded as estimates that are subject to change upon approval by The Board of Trustees.

Do non-residents pay extra fees?

No. Open University students pay the same fee whether they are residents or non-residents of California.

Parking Fees

Semester - $159.00
Weekly - $10.00
Daily - $6.00

You may purchase weekly or semester permits in Napa Hall once you have obtained at least one signature on your Open University registration form. 

Daily permits can be purchased at vending machines located throughout campus.  Please see UTAPS for exact locations,

Be advised there are no refunds for parking permits.

What is the Open University drop policy?

A grade of “W” will be given for all drops submitted after October 28,2011.

How do I Withdraw from Open University classes?

Obtain an Open University add/drop form from Continuing Education Records in Napa Hall. Complete the form. Attach documentation of the “serious and compelling” reasons that require you to withdraw. Secure instructor and department chair approval on the add/drop form. Submit all materials to Continuing Education Records.

There are NO REFUNDS issued for dropping Open University classes.
If you have any questions regarding withdrawals, please call (916) 278-6984.

Do I need to get a Sacramento State OneCard?

The Sacramento State OneCard is the University’s digital-image identification card for students. You will need to obtain a Sacramento State OneCard if you wish to use the library, student computer labs or obtain a SACLINK account. The Sacramento State OneCard is available at the Sacramento State OneCard Center, in Lassen Hall Student Financial Services Center, for a $15 fee.

How do I get my grades?

You can access your grades by logging on to, clicking on the Student Center link, and then clicking on the Grades link under the Academics heading. Grades should be available one week after the term. My Sac State is available 24/7.

Can I use the Health Center?

Yes; however, a health service fee is not included in the Open University fees. Therefore, per visit fees will be charged to use the health center.

Attention Students Interested in a Writing Intensive Course

Students interested in taking a Writing Intensive course through Open University must obtain proper approval before enrolling.

Students must go to the Office of Academic Affairs and obtain approval from the Associate Dean of Undergraduate Studies before being allowed to enroll in a Writing Intensive course. If approved, you will receive a letter stating that you may enroll in the course and that the course will not count towards the Writing Intensive graduation requirement at Sacramento State.

Bring this letter and your signed Open University registration form to the College of Continuing Education during the registration period to be enrolled.

Attention Graduate Students

Those students using Open University to explore graduate school options who later apply to Sacramento State for graduate studies should be aware that only six (6) eligible units earned prior to classification can be applied toward a subsequent master’s degree program. Graduate level courses taken through Open University cannot be applied to a College of Business Administration graduate degree program.

International Students

If you are an international student, please be advised that you may not be eligible to take a course through Open University. If you are here on an F-1 visa, you need authorization from your school advisor. If you are here on an F-2 or a J-2 visa, you will need to get clearance on the course you are taking when you submit your registration to the College of Continuing Education. If you are here on a B-1 or B-2 visa, you are NOT eligible to take courses through Open University. When submitting your registration, please have your visa with you because a photocopy will need to be made for your record. Please call (916) 278-6984 for questions about your status.

Call (916) 278-6984 for Open University registration forms or below:


About Us | FAQ | How to Register for Clasess | Certificate Programs | Maps and Parking | Press Room