The Intensive English program is designed for non-native English speakers who have a serious desire to improve their language skills, whether for academic, personal or professional success.
Highly skilled and caring and instructors take an interactive approach to teaching that provides students the opportunity to collaborate with one another and with the local community. All classes are held on the campus of Sacramento State, providing a genuine American university experience.
Now I have friends from all over the world.” — Celia Vasquez
“The teachers are really kind and full of enthusiasm, and classmates are friendly and easy to get along with. They gave me a lot of unforgettable memories.”
— Jia Li
- Comprehensive new student orientation
- Weekly opportunity to practice English with Sacramento State students
- Fieldtrips in and around Sacramento and Northern California
- Community outreach opportunities
- Personal academic support
- Award recognition program and certificate of completion
- Full access to campus services including computer labs, library and fitness center
- Dedicated ELI staff available Monday through Friday to answer questions and assist with matters related to immigration and academics
- University students and professionals 18+ years of age
- Beginner to advanced levels
Students begin the program with a three-day orientation to become familiar with our university, the city of Sacramento and their fellow classmates. Language assessment tests are conducted during orientation to determine the most appropriate level for a student. Students also learn about academic expectations and student life, participate in a tour of our city and campus, and receive a student identification card.
Classes progress through seven (7) program levels, ranging from beginner to advanced. Each class is designed to meet specific objectives at a particular level before advancing to the next level.
Students making regular progress can expect to advance to the next level in one session. Additional academic and social activities are provided to enhance the learning experience.
- Beginner level (2-3)
- Intermediate level (4-5)
- Advanced level (6-8)