Apply for Fall 2021 by July 1
If you are interested in applying, please submit the departmental along with copies of all your college transcripts to the program advisor for review. Transcripts can be unofficial copies or printouts for now, and you do not need to submit any application fees at this point in the application process.
Please note: All departmental application materials must be submitted on or before the posted application deadline in order to be considered for the upcoming semester. If you have already submitted your departmental application before the date listed above, then you have met the deadline to be considered for the upcoming term – no further action is needed unless specified otherwise.
Ways to Submit Your Application
By Email (preferred): firstname.lastname@example.org
Online Psychology Program
College of Continuing Education
3000 State University Drive
Sacramento, CA 95819
An unofficial evaluation of all your records will be completed to see if you may meet the admissions criteria. If you do appear to meet the criteria, we will walk you through the formal process to apply for admission to Sacramento State and the online Psychology program. Please do NOT formally apply for admission to Sacramento State via CSU Apply until instructed to do so, as we have a specific set of application instructions to give you.
If you do not yet meet the criteria, the advisor will give you advice about what courses you need in order to get into the program in the future, or advice on other potential degree completion programs that might be a better fit for you.
If you are currently a resident of another state, please ensure that your state or territory is on the approved list of Out-of-State Authorizations for Distance and Online Education.
To be eligible for this online program, students must meet the following admission criteria:
- Completion of Psychology 2: ”Introductory Psychology” (or approved equivalent) with a C- or better.
- Completion of Psychology 8: “Methods of Psychology” (or approved equivalent) with a C- or better.
- Completion of GE area A2 Written Communication, GE area A1 Oral Communication, GE area A3 Critical Thinking, and B4 Quantitative Reasoning, all with a C- or better grades.
- Completion of a minimum of 60 CSU transferable units.
- Cumulative GPA of 2.5 in all CSU transferable coursework.
- If you were a prior Sacramento State student, you must have been stopped out of Sacramento State for three or more years, or receive department consent to join the program. Current Sacramento State students are not eligible unless they receive special approval from the Psychology department due to extenuating circumstances.
If you are a local student, your application will also need to be approved, as this program is geared towards individuals who require the online format and cannot attend the traditional classes in-person on campus.
Please note: It is strongly recommended that students have Psychology 9: “Introductory Statistics for Psychology” (or the equivalent courses) completed prior to admission, or complete it concurrently through a community college during their first semester at Sac State. This is a common prerequisite for upper division courses in the major. Please see the list of approved PSYC 9 equivalent courses that you can take through various CA Community Colleges: https://www.csus.edu/college/social-sciences-interdisciplinary-studies/psychology/_internal/_documents/psyc-9-approved.pdf.
All lower division coursework in the major and for GE must be completed through a community college as this program is a degree completion program which generally only offers upper division coursework. Please review the Sacramento State catalog at https://catalog.csus.edu/baccalaureate-degree-requirements/ to see all baccalaureate degree requirements. While we are here to help you achieve your goal, it is your responsibility to understand all requirements that must be met before you can graduate from Sacramento State. If you have questions, please ask us at any time; do not assume that a requirement does not apply to you.
Resources for Students
If you need assistance with finding acceptable courses to take through a CA Community College in order to meet the admissions criteria or fulfil GE requirements in order to graduate, we recommend reaching out to your Sac State academic advisor. We also recommend the following tools and resources, but caution students to remember that these tools should not replace the guidance of a qualified academic counselor:
https://assist.org/ is a helpful online resource which allows you to look up your community college and the year you took a class (or plan to take a class) and determine if and how this course would transfer to a CSU or to Sacramento State specifically.
California Virtual Campus
https://cvc.edu/ can help you narrow down your search for online offerings of a particular GE course or course in the Psychology major. Please follow these instructions:
- In the “Search for Online Courses” section, select the radio button “I have a primary college” and from the drop down list select California State University – Sacramento.
- You can search either by Gen Ed requirement, Course name, or keywords. If you select Gen Ed, please select the area that you are looking to fulfill, and the click “search for classes” to see a list of potential options that are offered online through various CA Community Colleges.
- If you are looking for a specific course to take that is equivalent to one of our Sac State courses (such as PSYC 2 or PSYC 8), please search by course name. In the search box, type the discipline’s course heading (such as: PSYC) and it will prepopulate options from a drop down list. You can scroll through this list and select the exact course you are looking to complete.