How to apply for the 2022 cohort
Application instructions for Fall 2022 admission
Application Deadline: March 1, 2022
All complete applications received by 11:59 p.m. Pacific Standard Time on March 1, 2022 will be reviewed. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
The GRE is NOT required.
Step 1: Complete the University Graduate Application online.
- Submit your Cal State Apply application online.
- You can find our program by filtering the results:
- Campus: Sacramento State
- Source: Extended Education
- Start Term: Fall
- Select “Public Health – Master’s of Public Health” as the program
- While completing the application, you must list
all colleges/universities you
have attended, even if you did not earn a degree from that
institution, or if you only enrolled in one class and
- You do not need to list each individual course you completed through each institution.
- The $70 non-refundable University Application fee will be paid online at the end of the application before submission.
- If you have technical issues with the application, please call (857) 304-2087 for assistance.
- We strongly urge you to submit your application several weeks in advance of the deadline in order to give you enough time to complete the remaining steps in the application process.
Step 2: Submit Supplemental Program Application Documents
In order to be considered for admission, you must also submit all supplemental program application documents. Submit these items in Quadrant IV of the Cal State Apply application.
MPH Supplemental program application documents include:
MPH Supplemental Application Form
This is an editable PDF which you can fill out, save, and upload online. (Please double check that your information is saved in the editable fields before uploading.) If you prefer, you may print the form, fill it out out by hand, sign, and scan the form before uploading.
1-2 pages maximum, addressing your relevant paid and unpaid experience.
Two Professional References
Request two recommendations from professional and/or academic references – NO personal references will be accepted. Your references need only fill out an online form; no additional letter is required.
Have the following information ready to input at the Recommendation Tab of Quadrant IV when requesting your two recommendations:
- First and last name of each recommender
- Email address of each recommender
- Due date for recommendations to be complete (be strategic and select a date well before March 1)
- A message to each recommender describing your request (no more than 500 characters)
If a recommender misses your due date, you will have an opportunity to go back in and repeat the process. Please be mindful of the March 1 application deadline.
The essay must include your name at the top, be no more than 3 pages in length, double-spaced, 12-point font, with 1-inch margins, and saved as a PDF. Your essay must address the 3 areas listed below. Essays are scored for completeness, depth of content, and writing structure.
Please address the following in your essay:
- Describe your path in public health: How did you become interested in the field of public health?
- Articulate your commitment: Why are you choosing to pursue an MPH at Sac State?
- Provide a diversity statement. Be sure to include how your life experiences will contribute to increased cultural diversity at Sac State and the profession of public health; and express your commitment in serving diverse communities as a public health professional.
Step 3: Submit official transcripts.
- Please submit official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended other than Sacramento State. If you attended Sacramento State, we will pull your Sacramento State transcripts for you.
An official copy of transcripts all from colleges and universities attended, other than Sacramento State; send electronic transcripts to firstname.lastname@example.org or hard copy transcripts to:
California State University, Sacramento
Riverfront Center, Room 215, MS 6112
6000 J Street
Sacramento, CA 95819
- Photocopies or opened transcripts will not be accepted.
- If you have transcripts from institutions outside of the United States, please submit your transcripts one month prior to the deadline to allow time for a foreign credential evaluation. Please review the Office of Graduate Studies website for information about applicants with foreign documents.
- We also strongly urge you to put in your requests to have your official transcripts sent to us from US institutions several weeks in advance of the deadline as well, in order to ensure that we receive them in time.
After you have submitted all application materials
About the end of April, we will start sending notifications of admission decisions to applicants.
Please keep an eye out for further instructions from the program staff regarding your next steps. If you are formally admitted, you will receive instructions for submitting your $50 departmental fee, how to complete the online training module (if required based on your academic history), and any other final steps in the formal admission process before you can begin the program.
Applicants must posses the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor’s degree to apply for a graduate program. International Admissions conducts in-house review of foreign credentials for F-1 and J-1 applicants. WES evaluation is not required, but accepted if applicants choose to submit official transcripts and degree certificates through WES. Other Sacramento State accepted credential evaluation services are ACEI and ECE.
Submit your Cal State Apply International Application, and follow the instructions above to help find the program. Please review the Cal State Application International Guide if you need help completing the application.
Other documents required for the application can be found here: https://www.csus.edu/international-programs-global-engagement/application-admissions-process/graduate.html
If you have an F or J visa only and foreign documents, please visit: https://www.csus.edu/graduate-studies/future-students/applicants-with-foreign-documents.html
Documents for OGS should be sent to:California State University, Sacramento
Office of Graduate Studies
Riverfront Center 215, MS 6112
6000 J Street
Sacramento, CA 95819
Documents for IPGE should be sent to:California State University, Sacramento
Library 1001, MS 6012
6000 J Street
Sacramento, CA 95819, USA