More About Reasonable Accomodations
Sacramento State is mandated to provide access to academic
programs for students with disabilities consistent with all
federal and state legislation and California State University
Reasonable accommodations, including auxiliary aids,
will be provided to students with disabilities when
necessary to ensure that they are not denied the benefits
of, excluded from participation in, or otherwise subjected to
discrimination in any academic program. The university’s goal
is to provide an equivalent academic experience and learning
opportunity, not to guarantee the outcome of the student’s
Accommodating students with disabilities is a collaborative effort
involving CCE, Services to Students with Disabilities (SSWD), staff, faculty and students.
1. Accommodating students with disabilities is conditional
upon enrollment in programs including Open University, Early Start Program and Summer Academies. For Summer Session and Winter Intersession accommodations please contact the SSWD office.
2. Students with disabilities who request service(s) must provide CCE with appropriate documentation of disability. This documentation along with the Application for Student Support Services must be submitted to CCE at least two weeks before the first day of class/needed services.
3. CCE will submit the request to SSWD who will review
student’s medical/disability documentation and verify
eligibility for services and accommodations.
4. Upon completion of the SSWD verification review, CCE will provide a letter to the student listing test/course accommodations for students in CCE classes. Approved accommodations will be valid for the current semester.
5. If SSWD cannot verify a student’s eligibility based on the
documentation provided, an interview will take place with the SSWD counselor/specialist (about one hour).
- It is the responsibility of the student to request a new letter of accommodation each semester by completing and submitting the Accommodation Request Form to CCE.
- It is the responsibility of the student to notify their instructor(s) of their approved test/course accommodations.
- It is the responsibility of the student to notify CCE at least one week prior to any scheduled exam in which testing accommodations are needed.
- Requested revisions to a student’s initial approved
accommodations will be reviewed by SSWD and may
require appropriate updated documentation of disability.
Attn: Human Resources
3000 State University Drive
Sacramento, CA 95819
Concerns regarding eligibility and the process or provision of
accommodations should be discussed initially with CCE. If unresolved, the student can meet with a SSWD Counselor and Director. Students who wish to appeal above the Director level can be referred to campus administrative staff who oversee the specific area of concern (refer to the Academic Program Access for Students with Disabilities policy).