In the United States, we expect the water we use to be safely
managed and treated. The people responsible for providing these
invaluable services are wastewater treatment plant operators.
In order to be employed by a wastewater treatment plant,
operators must be licensed or certified by their states. To be
eligible to take a state certification exam, operators must
provide proof of having earned continuing education units in
their chosen field. Our Wastewater Treatment certificate program
may be used to satisfy this requirement.
Wastewater treatment operators play an important role in
protecting and enhancing water resources, public health, and the
The Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator certificate program is
designed to provide students with the knowledge, skills and
abilities to work in the wastewater treatment industry.
Our certificate program provides students with the skills and
- effectively and safely operate and maintain wastewater
- prevent public health hazards from waterborne pathogens
- monitor wastewater treatment processes using sampling and
- protect public health and the environment by producing
treated water that is safe, clean, and ready for discharge to the
environment or for reuse
- effectively and safely operate facilities to process
wastewater for reuse and energy recovery
- Prospective wastewater treatment plant operators seeking a
career in the wastewater treatment industry
- Experienced operators seeking higher responsibilities or
- Engineers and other professionals working in the water
Our Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator certificate program
consists of three 90-hour courses for a total of 18 units of
academic credit. All program courses are offered exclusively
using a distance learning format, providing optimum flexibility
for the adult learner.
Participants must complete all three courses to earn a
Certificate of Academic Achievement. Those who do not wish to
earn a certificate are encouraged to enroll in one or more
courses individually for professional development, preparation
for certification exams, or to earn continuing education units
Courses are offered continuously and students may enroll and
begin a course at any time. Courses are self-paced and exams may
be taken online.